Sunday, July 22, 2007

telephone

Greetings from room 604 of Da Silva Hall, St. John's University, Jamaica, New York. I sleep on the top bunk of a three person bedroom. My suite had eight people at the beginning, but now we only have seven. Some say that we are the all-american Teach for America corp suite. My suitemates are Greek-Chinese,Palestinian-American, African American, Anglo-Saxon heritage, Japanese American etc.

Each day, we get up around five, shower, go to breakfast, and load the bus by 6:15 am. My school is PS 86 located in the Bronx and one of the largest schools in New York. I work in the best 5th grade classroom ever. The first day of school, we asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up. One girl stated, "I want to be a teacher." My eyes welled up as she continued telling us that she like to help other people learn. Another wanted to be a policeman so he could help out people in trouble and another wanted to be a "flight attender" (I thought she meant a flight attendant, but she was adamant that she wanted to be a flight attender. So, flight attender she is.)

I am in week four of institute. Institute is our training ground for our classroom. At times, it feels like the MTC- minus the abundance of the spirit and nylons. :) We have a rigorous schedule of curriculum training meetings, teaching in the classroom, getting feedback on our lesson, and other meetings that tell us why we Teach for America.

Our classrom once had four teachers - a four person collaborative. Two of them are now happier in Washington, DC and Oregon. I miss them a great deal. But I am also enjoying the time with my other collab partner. Our collaboratives meet with other collaborates in a group, and we are under the wing of a corp member advisor (cma), her name is Mia Hood, who did her TFA experience in New Orleans.

I am expanding my horizons on multiple levels, and trying to get out of my social misfit-ism. Hopefully, I will get used to things. I know the first post of the blog is supposed to be profound, but if I wait for that time, then I do not think I will ever post anything! :)

I am grateful for all of the love and support of family friends. In one of our literacy sections, we talked about the word telephone." tele" meaning distant, and "phone" meaning voice. So, here is my telephone entry. I would love to hear all of your updates, comments, and such. Thanks for enduring my stream of consciousness.

9 comments:

M said...

I'm the first to post! Hooray for "emtrigue!" and hip-hooray for Em herself. Maybe now I won't have to keep asking your schedule over and over and over again. I've already linked you to my blog. "Telephone." I like it. Miss you.
Jane

Kelly O. said...

Yay Em! I LOVE this idea! I've always been intrigued by TFA and want to see an insider's perspective. Thanks for keeping me posted. I know you don't have time but If you did, I'd recommend a book that changed my life in high school called Amazing Grace by Jonathan Kozol. He too went to the Bronx to study the schools and what life was like for the kids there. Experiences like what you're doing/having is what makes life worth living!

Megan Zurcher said...

I had no idea that you were doing this. It sounds really neat. I've put a link to your blog on mine so you'll have to come check it out.

JD said...

good entry, em. keep up the education of our youth!

emm said...

thanks for writing and enduring the read.
jane, i miss the nightly talks, but i am sure they will continue through the summer. my schedule is whatever fits in mst for you. :) keep me posted on your adventures

kelly! it has been ages since i have talked with you. You would be amazing at this! i think of you often and wish you were here teaching! amazing grace..i just read it to my kids last week and they LOVED it. we made text to text connnections with Dancing in the Wings, which you might enjoy also.Still thinking of doing TFA?

JD.
Thanks for repsponding. I loved your blog. Seriously, I love your voice and insights into life. Keep it up and I will be a better frequenter of byudalton.

Katie said...

Em!!! Welcome to the blogosphere. It is so good to hear all about your life. Whew. I was tired just reading it.

I'm so glad Emtrigue is here. I love the name and love you!

Martha said...

Wow Em! It's so fun to hear about your life in New York. It sounds like a totally different world. I think it's great you're doing it. (This is Martha B. by the way.)

Kelly O. said...

I know I'm limiting myself when I say I could never get accepted to TFA. I know that sounds dumb cause I too think I would be fantastic at it. But my credentials never seem to add up to allowing me to do the things I want to do. I'd apply if I were still single. But for now, I'm content trying to get into the MSW (Masters of Social Work) program at the U. So when's the next post??

The Bish Fam said...

I am so excited to hear about all of your adventures. I love when people get blogs because then I can keep up with their lives. Sorry that it didn't work out to see you while I was in New York. It was crazy! It sounds like you are keeping busy and learning a ton! I love you tons!

Becca